Who We Are
Behavior Clinicians (BCs) are professionals who provide behavior services for children in the home and community.
What We Do
- We work on increasing skills that increase independence:
- Functional Communication Training
- Developmental Skills
- Daily living Skills
- Social Skills
- Psychological Flexibility
- Frustration Tolerance Training
- We also work on decreasing behaviors that hinder learning, social acceptance, and/or that may be dangerous.
- Parent/caregiver training:
- Model proactive and reactive strategies
- Facilitate/attend meetings with team members to discuss behavior plans and strategies
- Create program materials
- Provide tools and resources
Why do we do what we do?
Our aim is to improve quality of life. By improving life skills and decreasing deficits, children can access more opportunities in their environments.
How do we do it?
Through play and real-life (natural) situations, we work on goals that are individualized for your child’s learning. Behavior services are based on Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) which focuses on changing environmental factors to improve socially significant behavior using evidence-based strategies. This means our goal is to use strategies that have proven to be effective for behaviors that are a barrier to learning, social acceptance, and safety. To ensure therapy is effective for your child, we constantly collect data and base our decisions on it.
What can I expect?
After you are approved for services, your BC will complete the following prior to implementing a behavior support plan:
- Screening Assessment: this is to ensure we are setting up goals that will benefit your child. BCs will also ask you and your child what you all feel is important to practice.
- Functional Behavior Assessment: we will ask specific questions about the behaviors of concern, data will be collected, and your BC will discuss solutions with you for these behaviors based on the information obtained.
- Behavior Support Plan: after you approve the BSP, all members of the team will be trained by the BC to ensure consistency in implementation. Modifications to this can be made anytime.
Now we begin! The BC will work on goals with you and your child in any setting needed. The BC will help set up the environment in a way that the plan can be implemented, and learning can be optimized. Items in the environment along with those the BC brings will be used for teaching. BCs strive to keep open communication to make sure behavior services are making a positive impact in your child’s life.